No available positions at this time.
Please check back often as future positions may become available.
Externship Opportunities: Summer 2022 All Externship Opportunities Filled
As the first exclusively equine clinic in the Lowcountry, it is important for us to continue in this practice’s tradition of promoting the profession and mentoring young aspiring veterinarians. We have inspired and guided more current practicing veterinarians and current veterinary students than any other practice in the region, ensuring that the horses of the Lowcountry will have quality healthcare for generations to come.
We are pleased to offer a limited number of externships for 2022. During this time, the student will work under the direct supervision of our staff veterinarians and technicians, obtaining up to 20 hours of veterinary experience. They will have the opportunity to observe at-clinic appointments, hospitalized cases, and daily operations of a veterinary clinic. Since we are a private clinic, the amount of hands-on experience is limited. However, there is a lot of information to learn by observing and being exposed to our heavy caseload. Our externs must be able to work as part of our team, as well as work independently and have a strong desire to advance their equine career. We feel that our externship program will provide students with an opportunity to further their equine experience and knowledge in a clinical setting.
Applicant Prerequisites: Our externships are offered to undergraduate students seeking an animal science degree, veterinary technician license, or veterinary assistant certification. Students must be at least 18 years of age or older. They must also have a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. We do not offer housing.
Applicant Requirements: Applicants must email a completed copy of the externship entrance interview (link found here), a copy of their resume, and a letter of intent to our email at email@example.com. Must be available for one of the two sessions offered: June 13, 2022 to June 24, 2022 and July 11, 2022 to July 22, 2022.
Overview of Extern Responsibilities: Please note that the following responsibilities may vary based on your level of experience.
- Proper facility maintenance including hospital organization and biosecurity measures
- Learn how to run in-house labwork including: CBC, Chemistry, SAA, fecal egg counts, and sand sedimentation tests
- Preparation of samples for outgoing labwork
- Clean and prepare instruments for sterilization
- Ensure diagnostic equipment is maintained and cleaned
- Pharmacy and treatment area stocking and inventory
- Observe appointments and critical care cases in the clinic
- Patient care including stall cleaning, paddock cleaning, feeding, bathing, and grooming
- Assist office staff in daily front desk management tasks as well as being introduced to important customer service skills
- Introduction to veterinary practice management software
CEC Externship Application
- What influenced you to decide on a career in the veterinary industry?
- What specifically interests you about equine veterinary medicine?
- What do you hope to learn during your externship at Charleston Equine Clinic?
- Do you have experience handling horses? If so, please describe in detail.
- What dates are you available?